Thursday, December 24, 2009

Half-Marathon: January 24th


Yikes, running giraffes, I've signed up for a half-marathon, never having run more than eight miles at a time, even during practice! What am I thinking?!

I'm thinking awesome thoughts, that's what. I'm stretching my limits, and saying, YES I CAN! (props to Bob the Builder and some guy named Obama).

2010, or Bust!

So, I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I've been running about once a week for awhile now. So, I'm not in bad running shape, overall. However, half-marathons are a completely different story. I remember running eight miles or so when I went back home to Concord, and my body just stopped working after a while. I had to walk the rest of the way. I think it was my body's way of telling me to re-fuel, or quit, or else!

So, I have to gear my body up for running long runs. This is totally an amateur way of looking at it, but I have about four weekends left before the January 24th, Sunday half-marathon. I'm going to build up my long runs until I can run about 11 or 12 miles the week before. I'm going to try and fit in three long runs, outside, and a short race on the weekends leading up to the half. During the week, I'm going to fit in a short three-to-five mile treadmill run during the week. In short, I will run twice a week, up to the half. I don't know if this is enough, but that's my plan. I'm also going to squeeze in some other physical activity during the week too, to keep up my workouts and mix it up a bit (spin class, anyone? hula dancing, anyone?).

Suh-weet!



So, here's the (running) plan:

Week 1:
Weekend Dec 26 or 27: one 7-8 mile run, outside
Weekdays Dec 28 - Jan 1: one 4-5 mile run, treadmill

Week 2:
Weekend Jan 2 or 3: one 9-10 mile run, outside
Weekdays Jan 4 - 8: one 3-5 mile run, treadmill

Week 3:
Weekend Jan 9, Saturday: one 5-mile race, NYRR, Central Park, outside
Weekdays Jan 11 - 15: one 4-5 mile run, treadmill

Week 4:
Weekend Jan 16 or 17: one 11-12 mile run, outside
Weekdays Jan 18 - 22: one 3-5 mile run, treadmill

Race Day: Sunday, January 24th, Manhattan half-marathon, 13.1 miles, Central Park

Gulp!

So, I bought some gels, GU, to go on my long runs to make sure my body gets used to eating it. I'm supposed to have them every 45 minutes or so. I'll need a watch (hopefully I get one for Christmas). I'm planning on drinking plenty of water and eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich an hour before my long runs. Hopefully, that will help. I don't plan on investing in utility belts, and just plan on having the GU in my pockets and holding onto a water bottle during my runs. Idk. I haven't figure this part out yet.

The dress will be interesting too, as I don't know how cold it will be. They say to dress coolly, because your body warms up about 10-15 degrees once you get into your run. I'll have to experiment with this. For now, I plan on ear warmers, gloves, three layers on top, and one or two layers below. Sadly, the cold has knocked out my awesomest running buddy SLG for this training, but SLG will be cheering me on in spirit! I may be able to run with Yin instead, who's also signed up for the half, so I'll have to coordinate with him.

My goal is to finish the half. I'd be happy with a 11 minute pace, nothing crazy, just as long as I finish, and my body doesn't give out. I'll be monitoring my dress and my nutrition for the next month. I'll try to report it here, but this blogging takes work! This should be fun though.

Okay, let's see. Anything else? Setting goals and working toward them. That's my 2010! Keep on running, running giraffes!

Oh yeah, and merry Christmas, and happy holidays! Happy new year, and may it all be safe and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment